All players who cash in MNPokerMag POY eligible events are ranked for Player of the Year points. At the end of the calendar year, the top-ranked player will receive POY recognition and be on the cover of the February issue of Minnesota Poker Magazine. The Player of the Year will also receive a $250 non-transferable qualifier buy-in to every Mid-States Poker Tour (MSPT) event the following season, currently a $2,500 value (and growing).
MNPOKERMAG PLAYER OF THE YEAR
- POY points start over on January 1 of each calendar year and are based on field size and buy-in amount.
- This is the first ever statewide POY race in Minnesota. It’s about time!
- There are currently over 500 POY-eligible tournaments each year. Tournaments may be added or subtracted at the discretion of Minnesota Poker Magazine and participating card rooms.
- Full name, city and place finished must be submitted by host casino for player to be awarded POY points. It is the host casino’s responsibility to submit results in a timely fashion for that specific event to qualify for POY points.
- Standings will be posted on MNPokerMag.com and in the monthly magazine.
* POY Standings depend ENTIRELY on the cooperation of each participating cardroom/casino
- Players will be awarded points based on where they finish in a specific tournament and based on the total number of players who cash in that tournament. For example, if 9 players are awarded a cash, then 1st place receives 9 points, 2nd place 8 points, etc.
If the total number of entrants in a tournament are small enough that only 5 players cash, then 1st place is 5 points, 2nd is 4 points, etc. This allows us to take into consideration the size of the field when awarding points. We will not award points to more than 15% of the total field. This way a tournament of 30 entrants can’t award 10 players points, the cap would be 5 places.
- To award more points to higher-buy-in tournaments, the following multipliers are applied to the points accumulated:
$0 – $199 (1x)
$200 – $499 (1.5x)
$500 – $999 (2x)
$1,000 – Up (2.5x)